Paying Your Fine and/or Court Costs

If you owe a fine and/or court costs, by statute you have thirty days to pay the balance owed to the court. Failure to pay fines and/or court costs will result in a suspension of your driver’s license and the balance will begin to accrue interest. If you have questions regarding court payments, typically contacting the clerk’s office is the best course of action. However, feel free to give us a call and we can try to assist.

Online Payments

Typically you can make the payment online with a credit or debit card. Prior to making any payment to the court, it is advisable to contact an attorney, especially if your court date has not passed.

To pay your fine and/or court costs, go to:

General District Court Online Case Information System

Once you have entered into the online system, select the court you wish to pay from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen.

After selecting the court, you can search for your case either by entering your name or by using your case number. Be sure to enter your name as it appears on the ticket.

If you have multiple cases or owe multiple fines to the court, make sure that you pay each one individually.

Once you locate your case and are on the Case Details page, hit the button “Mark for Payment” to begin your online payment process. From there, you will be prompted to enter payment information.

After paying your fine and/or court costs, be sure to print a receipt for your records.

Payment by Mail

If you wish to make your payment by mail, you can send a money order or check to that court’s clerk’s office. Make the check payable to appropriate court, for example “Henrico General District Court” and use your case number as a reference in the memo line.

Payment In Person

You can also go in-person to the Clerk’s Office to make your payment by cash, check, money order, or card. Be sure to confirm that the court accepts the method of payment you wish to use as some courts do not accept card payments.

Payment Plans

Some courts have payment plan arrangements if you are unable to pay the fine in full within thirty days of your court date. The policies vary by jurisdiction so contact the clerk’s office where you have court to confirm eligibility. You also find out more information on payment plan policies here: General District CourtCircuit CourtJuvenile and Domestic Relations Court.